NABERS refers to the National Australian Built Environment Rating System; which in simple words is the equivalent to the star rating that you would see in your home appliances – but for buildings!
This rating system was launched almost two decades ago and has helped many buildings across Australia to improve their sustainability.
In response to the many challenges imposed by COVID, NABERS has partnered with the Commonwealth Government to offer Fee-Free NABERS for ratings lodged between the 1st of July 2020 and the 30th of June 2021 for certain sectors (including apartment buildings).
A NABERS Rating can only be lodged by a NABERS Accredited Assessor, which means that during the time of this offer, building owners will save the government component and will only need to pay the NABERS Accredited Assessor’s fee.
Additionally, bodies corporate can combine multiple ratings to save on these fees. That means you can try out additional ratings such as NABERS Water, Indoor Environment or Waste at a lower cost.
Various steps must be completed by the body corporate and the NABERS Accredited Assessor before the NABERS Rating can be lodged, so the sooner you get started, the better!
Benefits for the Body Corporate:
- Compare sustainability performance against similar buildings
- Highlight areas for improvement,
- Help implement strategies to lower usage/costs for energy and water.
- Lower environmental impact of the building- directly linked with lower running costs.
- Sharing a NABERS rating is not mandatory for residential apartment buildings however if your apartment building obtains a high NABERS Rating it could be highly beneficial for owners trying to sale their property.
To get more information on NABERS ratings and the fee-free offer click here.